Shall we talk?
How to write SEO content and not despair in the attempt?
If you are looking for tips on how to write SEO content you may already be desperate. Do you wonder why your articles don’t achieve the ranking you desire? Or maybe, you’re in front of the editor and you see so many options that your head starts spinning around. The SEO team talks to you about H1, H2, H3; optimization, readability, titles… Strange words that sound like something distant but necessary. And, perhaps, you ask yourself why a man or woman who has not written even half the article that you -or worse, a machine- tells you how you must write.
Leaving the drama and anger aside, think again and you will realize that in the digital world the editor is Mister Google and what you must do is trusting those who know how to understand its whims. The SEOs are something like the “man who whispered algorithms” and sometimes with need some help understanding what are they asking us for.
In a world of strange concepts, text structures and new rules of the game, it never hurts that someone gives us a guide. Without further ado, here you have it. In this text I tell you how to write SEO content and not despair in the attempt. We will talk about writing, linkbuilding, how to optimize your images and finish with some extra SEO tips. Ready?
Basic SEO writing tips: Let’s start at the beginning
If you aspire to become the best SEO copywriter you have to start by laying some basic foundations. To begin with, the first thing you have to keep in mind is that this type of writing differs from journalism in several formal aspects. I’ll tell you next:
- These texts can have many purposes: Although we can find texts related to current affairs, they will usually be focused on other types of actions. We will write informative texts to clarify some concepts, transactional focused on sale or text simply focused on positioning certain keywords in front of the competitors.
- Beware of language!: The objective of an SEO text is not to be well written, it is adapted to the audience we want to capture. We will have to express ourselves like them and change our register completely each time.
- The structure: We will deal with this concept later, but I advance you that you have to forget about the inverted pyramid. In SEO everything is relevant and everything is organized as such.
This is one of the foundations of SEO, the body of our texts is organized following several headings that are structured following a logical order: first the H1, this is followed by the H2, of these turn on H3 … And so on.
Attention! Our text can only contain an H1. This would be the headline of our text, it is usually the same as our metatitle and must contain the main keyword (the earlier, the better).
In general, a text will have several H2, They serve to structure the text and make it more pleasant for SEO. They have several advantages: on the one hand, they allow us to put the keyword once in the text; They are especially useful when our keyword is a bit difficult to fit naturally into the text. On the other, they help Google consider that the text has better readability; since its algorithm interprets that the long paragraphs are more difficult to read.
If we need to further divide our text we can use H3, these divide the previous text block into sections. These blocks extend practically to infinity, we will have H4, H5, H6 … All we need.
It is important to remember that between each block of text H1, H2 and their H3 we must always include a text, even if they are two small lines of introduction.
When we talk about SEO we always refer to keywords. These are the concepts by which we intend to appear in the Google search engine. In general, if we work with an SEO team they will mark the words that we must work on in our text, so I will not stop at what criteria or tools we should use to select them.
These are some of the aspects that we have to take into account about the keywords when we write a text:
- They must appear literally in our H1 and in the first paragraph of the text (when earlier, better). In the same way, we have to include them in all the purely SEO aspects such as the title, the url and the meta description.
- “What about density?” There is no magic number to position. Long ago we left behind the idea of introducing the word more times than the competition. The key is to use common sense and let it be introduced naturally in our texts.
- You have to play with semantics. Google is increasingly rewarding the naturalness of texts and the related content. Therefore, it is logical that we use synonyms of our keyword and that we talk about concepts that are related to it. For example, if we talk about shirts, it is logical that at some point we mention jackets, pants or jumpers, right?
Other key concepts related to the writing
When we write an SEO text it is good to consider other types of aspects that, although they are not essential, will help us obtain better results.
- Short phrases: Google does not like subordinates and excess commas. It is best to give short sentences and simple grammatical structures so it can understand our texts perfectly.
- The bold words are a plus: What better way to tell the search engine “look here” than with a bold word? In addition, they also help our audiende to read the text. But, attention! Don’t use them more than the necessary
- Give me lists!: Include enumerations whenever you can (within logic) is a plus, Google considers that it makes the texts much more readable.
Linkbuilding: “My text is relevant and these are my sources”
Links are gaining more and more importance in our SEO texts. Do you remember the importance of citing our sources in academic works? In this case something similar happens. Google gives a lot of value to including links to other pages whenever they are relevant to our readers.
For starters, our links can be dofollow or nofollow. In the first case what we tell Google is that we want to “follow” that link. What does this mean? Well, we are telling it to transfer our authority and, at the same time, we benefit from theirs. On the other hand, when we tag a link like nofollow we’re basically telling Google that it has nothing to do with us.
On the other hand, according to its objective we can have several types of links:
- Informative: They are used to give extra information or to indicate our sources. They can be internal (take to another blog post) or external (take to a page with authority on the subject).
- Transactional: They are focused on the sale. They are used mainly in ecommerce to take us to the product that we promote in the text.
- Anchor text: We use them mainly to transfer the authority of the domain in which we write the text to the desired web.
Tips to include links within our texts
If we want our linkbuilding strategy to work, we will have to take into account certain very simple aspects. They are the following:
- The internal links will always open on the same page while the external ones will have to be tagged to take us to a new page.
- Google increasingly paying attention to the language: It is recommended that the links we include carry texts written in the same language as our text.
- We must fill all the attributes of the links, we have to remember to put them a title.
Images: The forgotten great ones of the SEO
“But SEO does not refer only to text?” I’m afraid not. This is one of the most forgotten aspects within the SEO optimization of a web page. However, paying attention to three simple aspects will be ready:
- The name of the image has to be friendly: On the one hand, this means that we can not include strange characters such as “ñ” or accents. And, on the other, we will always have to modify its name. Of course, avoid generic names like “photo1.jpg”. A tip is to take opportunity to include our keyword in its title.
- We must always fill in the alt tag: Google rewards usability. The alt tag takes on special importance because, for example, in the case of the blind in the way your browser describes the image.
- Attention to the size!: Our images must always be edited and resized so that they have the specific size that we need. A large image will take much longer to load and consume more server resources, however, it will look like an optimized one.
SEO tips to write
To finish this short guide on how to write SEO texts we will focus on some final tips that will help you to understand purely SEO aspects.
- The title: It is the name that our post will have when it appears in the Google search engine. In general, the most normal thing is that it coincides with the H1 and that we add the name of our brand behind. It is important that we pay attention to its length, we can use the SEO Yoast plugin to calculate if it is appropriate. We must never exceed the maximum number of characters allowed!
- The meta description: It is the text that appears in the Google search engine. Like the title, it is subject to the maximum number of characters that we must never exceed. It is essential that we include the keyword as soon as possible within the text and that we take care of the wording so that it is attractive and invites the user to enter our website. It is also important to note that the meta description must be as original as possible to avoid falling into duplication with other content.
- Friendly URL: It must be short and include our keyword. Usually the words of the title will be separated by hyphens as long as it does not get too long.
At Agenciadeseo we have SEO copywriting experts that can help you optimize your blog and achieve the best possible results. Trusting a specialist editor in your field who also knows the best techniques to optimize your SEO texts is the key to achieving the best results on the web.
On the other hand, our team can also help you design strategies based on data content so your editors just have to worry about writing us.
Consult us without any commitment and we tell you how we can help your blog get the best results.
Tania estudió periodismo y está especializada en redacción SEO. Le interesa especialmente cómo lograr el equilibrio entre los equipos de contenidos y departamento SEO y conseguir textos enfocados al posicionamiento sin perder la calidad y el valor para el lector. También le encanta el marketing, centrándose especialmente en aplicar la teoría de una forma lógica y orientada al consumidor.